First posted: Oct 6, 2016
Roasted Corn and Chickpea Salad
Summer is here! That means sunshine and ice clinking in glasses and merry chatter around the braai (BBQ anywhere else in the world). And it also means salads – and there’s very little not to love about this sunny pile of blistered corn that’s roasted over hot coals until beautifully golden, and backed up by creamy chickpeas, the splash of purple that comes with red onions, a good scattering of feta, lashings of fresh herbs and silky mustard dressing. YAY! Also, it’s really budget friendly, and perfect for feeding a crowd. It’s an updated version of one of our favourite favourites from our first season of Food Safari and I hope you’ll try it soon.
Cooks in: Serves:4-6
- 3-4 fresh sweetcorn on the cob
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp each of ground cumin and ground coriander
- 1 x 410g chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 100g feta or soft goats cheese, roughly crumbled
- 1 Tbsp each of chopped fresh mint and basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1-2 tsp Dijon mustard (or wholegrain)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Add some chopped, fresh chilli, if you like
- A pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mix together in an old jam jar until it emulsifies, then check for seasoning and adjust accordingly
What to do
1. Grill the corn until blistered and golden, allow to cool for a few minutes and then slice off the kernels. 2. Mix all of the ingredients together and tip out onto a serving platter. Stir through the herbs and dressing, and season well with salt and pepper. Note
Photo from 'Sarah Graham's Food Safari' by Ricardo de Leça.
1. Grill the corn until blistered and golden, allow to cool for a few minutes and then slice off the kernels.
2. Mix all of the ingredients together and tip out onto a serving platter. Stir through the herbs and dressing, and season well with salt and pepper.