First posted: Jul 2, 2013
Two Minute Tuna and Chickpea Salad
I always get immense satisfaction out of taking store cupboard staples and making them shine. And here, with the saltiness of the tuna, the earthiness of the chickpeas, the sharpness of red onion and lemon juice, crunch of the celery and the creaminess of the avo, shine they most certainly do. And it’s all rounded off with a piquant honey-mustard dressing. Effortless prettiness on a plate, ridiculously budget friendly and overwhelmingly satisfying, so what’s not to love?
Cooks in: Serves:2
- 1 tin tuna in brine, drained
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 stick celery
- 1/2 ripe avocado, cubed
- 1 ripe tomato, cubed
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- Fresh parsley leaves, for serving
- 1 heaped tsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Add to a jam jar, put the lid on and shake until the ingredients emulsify (go creamy)
- Taste and check to see that the flavour balance is to your liking, if not adjust accordingly.
What to do
1. Gather all of the ingredients, place in a large mixing bowl and toss together gently. Notes
Serve with pita breads, fresh crusty bread, over simple penne pasta or cous cous, or just as they are.
1. Gather all of the ingredients, place in a large mixing bowl and toss together gently.